Dog Grooming Tips
Being dog owners here at PetBase we are very aware of how daunting dog grooming can be. It is so important, not only to keep your pup looking dapper but also to keep them happy and healthy. Don’t despair as we are here to help with our top 10 dog grooming tips!
Top 10 Dog Grooming Tips:
- Don’t brush your dog for too long, as it may irritate their skin. They will usually let you know when they’ve had enough.
- If your dog has a lot of mats take them to a professional dog groomer. Then you can deal with individual mats as they occur.
- Touch your dog’s paws from time to time so that they become used to that area being handled when you come to clip their nails.
- Clipping nails after a bath will be easier as the nail will be softer.
- Test the temperature of the bath water on the inside of your wrist, to make sure it’s not too hot.
- Use a non-slip mat when bathing your dog.
- When bathing leave the head until last as it is the most sensitive area. Your dog is less likely to shake if their head stays dry until the very last moment.
- Be prepared for your dog to go a little bit crazy after their bath, racing around the house at a hundred miles an hour. This is quite natural and is just their way of letting off steam after being restrained and subjected to the bathing process.
- A treat afterwards will help your dog associate grooming with something positive at the end of it.
- Try to enjoy the experience yourself as your dog will pick up on your happy vibes and feel more secure.
Do you want more information on Grooming?
If you would like a more in-depth guide to washing and grooming take a look at this: The Complete Guide To Washing & Grooming Your Dog.
If you have any tips that you would like to share with us then get in touch and let us know. Our email address is email@example.com.